Virtual Sports Day results now up on our Shared Drive!
Welcome to Class 5R
Our teacher is Mrs Rowlands
School Council Lead: TBC
Reading Council Lead: TBC
Sports Councillors: TBC
Some important notes:
- Maths and English homework goes out on a Thursday and should be returned every Tuesday.
- Spellings will go home and be tested every Tuesday, unless instructed otherwise.
- Homework, as always, will be linked to class topics and subjects covered. If children are unsure of what they are to do, they must ask a member of staff before the day it is due in and we will work with your child to rectify this.
- Please try to read at home every night, even for just 10 minutes. It really does make a massive difference to your progression in reading and other subjects. Reading Records return to school on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday, signed by parents, so that they can be monitored children's home-reading progress.
- Don't forget our fantastic online resource for reading, First News.
- P.E. will be on a Thursday unless your child is told otherwise by the teacher. Please send your child in their P.E. kit for the day.
- Please ensure that your child has a school water bottle.
Autumn 1 Topic
Our topic was Space with a Science focus.
We have looked at a range of astronauts and learned all about the order of the planets,
how they move and even about our moon and sun!
Mini Topic Week
To finish the half term, we celebrated Black History Month with a Black History Week. We focussed on amazing sport persons, politicians and other figures in Black History. Our work included looking at the Windrush journey and we created some incredible artwork for display.
Autumn 2 Topic
Our topic this half term was Iceland with a Geography focus on Earthquakes and Volcanoes.
Mini Topic Week
To start the half term, we celebrated Science Week . Our school focus was on inventors and scientists. Year 5 focused on George Washington Carver - who spent his early life as a slave in America. We were wowed by him and his dedication to inventions - especially since he found so many used for peanuts in foods and other materials. We wrote a biography about him and shared these on our display.
Spring 1 Topic
We have made such amazing progress in our online learning together, so well done, Year 5!
We have had our daily lessons at 9.00am (Maths), 11.00am (English) and afternoon lessons at 1.30pm.
Our topic this first half term has been Shakespeare. We looked at Shakespeare and his plays, learned about Elizabethan England through History and looked at how the Elizabethans paved the way for Global exploration in Geography. We have studied operas and different pieces or music, with some familiar (and some unfamiliar!) instruments. Our Art sketches on Shakespeare have been amazing.
Mini Topic Week
We had a short topic week on Online Safety, and also on Children's Mental Health week.
Our New Book for English this half term is King Kong by Anthony Browne.
We will begin fractions as part of our Maths.
Our topic this half term is a Science Based one - Life Cycles, where we will learn about the life cycles of animals and plants.